Remember, the NFPT-CPT Exam is a multiple choice test. There are 120 questions, 20 of those are not graded because they are pre-test questions. Use these strategies to help you with studying and to better take a multiple choice test.
- Pace yourself, commit to a realistic time per week and stick with it. Maybe 20-30 minutes each day is all that you can give to your studies, that’s okay. Set a time during the day that works best for you to be able to sit down and concentrate on your studies for that amount of time. Realistically pacing yourself is the best way to keep on a steady track and reach your goal.
- Break up the exam outline and work through each category as a separate study section. Read the category and find the subject matter in your NFPT manual or other sources to make sure that you understand it. Stop frequently as you read to ensure that you understand. Go back and reread those things that you are having trouble with.
- Make note cards. Read, Write, Repeat the subjects that you are studying
- Apply what you are learning to your existing clients, family or friends. The best way to learn is to use what you are learning in a practical way. Repeat the concepts, say it out loud and teach it to someone else with every opportunity.
Get More Tips for the Best Ways to Prepare for the NFPT CPT Exam >>
FOR TAKING THE TEST:
Questions are derived from the 5 content domains, which require 750 points (out of 1000 possible) for a passing score. This is a closed-book exam with a 2 hour time limit. Remember some strategies for multiple choice exams:
- Read each question carefully before choosing the single best response.
- Pace yourself; sometimes it helps to answer the easiest questions first.
- If you are not sure about an answer, don’t spend too much time on it. Skip the question and come back to answer it at the end.
- Your score is based on the total number of correct answers. Responses are in random order. Looking for patterns won’t help you.
- For paper exams: Be sure to use #2 pencil and mark your answers neatly, clearly, and in the correct space. Fill in all bubbles on the answer sheet for identifying yourself and your test booklet.
- For computer based exams: It is easy to see any questions you may have skipped and return to them.
FOR KEEPING COMPLIANT:
Remember, you are responsible for maintaining professional codes of conduct, and this extends very specifically to your responsibility for keeping the test questions to yourself. Any unfair advantages to you or other NFPT Test Candidates as the result of accepting or giving test question assistance will make your test scores invalid or your certification revoked. Don’t do it!
Here are things that you are responsible for in order to assure that your test score can be appropriately validated for certification:
- Arrive on time for test appointment
- Provide photo ID
- DO NOT bring personal items or printed material, i.e. handbags, PDAs, cell phones, books, notes, dictionaries, etc. – these are not allowed in the test room.
- DO NOT assist others. This includes but is not limited to: the impersonation of another test candidate, sharing information of any kind, giving or receiving advice or other help, having prior knowledge of the test questions, recalling test questions after the test has concluded.
- DO NOT disturb or distract others in any way through the test process
If you see anything that disturbs you or that you believe to be suspicious in any way, please contact us, your certification may depend on it!
Get Your Cert
When using a NFPT computer based testing site, you will receive instant test results as soon as you complete your test! Approximately 2-3 weeks following a successful exam completion, you will receive a detailed score report, your professional NFPT certificate for display, and a wallet-sized ID card.
Now get out there and put your skills to the test! (when you’re ready!) Certification is the validating step that you’ll take in your successful personal training career. Just remember, it’s not only the passing of this test that will make you a great personal trainer – that is all you! You are more than a walking textbook, you are a professional mentor, life coach, motivator, and the health and fitness rock that your clients will look to for reaching goals. You can do this! You were meant to do this! You started with getting certified because you were smart enough to take that first step…now it is up to you to take the next. We will support you in whatever way that we can. Contact Us anytime for any reason, we will do our best to help.
We wish you success on the NFPT – CPT exam…but, much more so, we wish you success in your personal trainer career, and every step that you take to make it great! Thank you for choosing NFPT to help you get there!